Tuesday 20 August 2013

What are you supposed to look like? (And your personal style)

I've been thinking about expectations. It is true that in this life we may not be able to escape societal expectations, especially when it comes to metrics of success, including how we are supposed to look like. I am pretty sure that groomed and clean would be somewhere up there because the alternative of being grotty and yucky is not that acceptable on the grand scheme of things that involves other people. Or in other words, how we decide to look for an occasion is very much an extension of being respectful of others...

... and we get judged by how we look. Say what? It's true. First impression is everything and for a lot of people, this comes in visual form, virtual or non-virtual: we only see what we want to see.

Back to the original question: what are you supposed to look like? I mean, given the option of looking like anything you want to look like, what sort of looks would you pull off? And how many times have you changed this so far in your life?

I've changed mine so many times that I've lost count. I call it a series of on-going experiment, which I am okay with, but it does beg the question as to whether there are items in my wardrobe that have been around for more than 5 years. The answer is probably no.

No comments:

Post a Comment